José Feliciano – Feliz Navidad

Joaquin

Administrator
Teammitglied
6. Januar 2009
José Feliciano – Feliz Navidad

Der puertoricanischer Sänger und Gitarrist José Feliciano hat mit seinem in spanisch und englisch gesungenem Lied “Feliz Navidad” (Frohe Weihnachten) einen Weihnachtsklassiker erschaffen.

José Feliciano -- Feliz Navidad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMtuVP8Mj4o&feature=player_embedded

Feliz Navidad is a Christmas song written in 1970 by the Puerto Rican singer-songwriter José Feliciano. With its simple Spanish chorus (the traditional Christmas/New Year greeting, “Feliz Navidad, próspero año y felicidad” or “Merry Christmas, prosperous year and happiness”) and equally simple English verse (”I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart”), it has become a classic Christmas pop song in the United States, Canada and throughout the Spanish-speaking world.

Feliciano’s version of “Feliz Navidad” (in which he plays both an acoustic guitar and a Puerto Rican cuatro) is one of the most downloaded and aired Christmas songs in the United States and Canada. It was also recognized by ASCAP as one of the top 25 most played and recorded Christmas songs around the world.

Covers / Interpretations

Various artists have covered “Feliz Navidad”, including Julianne Hough, Céline Dion, The Cheetah Girls, Jaci Velasquez, The Three Tenors, Boney M[4], BoA, David Hasselhoff, David Crowder Band, The Wiggles, Jon Secada, Koyote, Ivan Lins, Raúl Malo, Fenix TX, El Vez, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Von Trapp Children, It Dies Today and The Jonas Brothers during a concert in mexico.

Popular culture

The song was featured early in the special, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street as Big Bird was learning to skate.

Billy T. James recorded a parody of the song with the refrain, ‘I wanna wish you a Maori Christmas.’

Bob Rivers recorded another parody of the song entitled, “Police Stop My Car”, which is about a man being arrested for drunk driving around Christmas time as the chorus suggests, “They want to wish me a sober Christmas”.

Oben