Beyoncé Knowles – Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

Joaquin

Administrator
Teammitglied
15. Januar 2009
Beyoncé Knowles – Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

Beyoncé Knowles heißt mit vollem Namen Beyoncé Giselle Knowles und ist das erfolgreichste Mitglied der Band Destiny’s Child. Mit ihrer Single “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)” aus ihrem dritten Album “Am… Sasha Fierce” wurde ein Nr. 1 Hit in den USA.

Beyoncé Knowles – Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) – Musikvideo
http://www.myvideo.de/movie/5365641

“Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” is a song by American R&B singer Beyoncé Knowles, written by Christopher Stewart, Terius Nash, Kuk Harrell and Knowles for her third solo album, I Am… Sasha Fierce (2008).

Alongside “If I Were a Boy”, the song was released to U.S. radio stations on October 8, 2008. The single peaked at the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100, making it Knowles’ fifth number-one single and her second one that does not feature any other artists. The song was ranked number one on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the Best 100 Singles of 2008, and is listed in the top ten on lists produced by MTV and Time magazine. It was also named Song of the Year by Fuse TV.

Release and promotion

“Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)”, alongside “If I Were a Boy”, was initially targeted to debut on radio stations on October 7, 2008, with aims at rhythmic formats. However, the song premiered the following day on the mainstream urban radio station Power 105.1.

The song was performed on November 9, 2008 at the 2008 World Music Awards and at Saturday Night Live on November 15, 2008; that night, Beyonce was also featured in a parody of the “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” music video, where the two female backup dancers from the video were replaced by three men, one of whom was Justin Timberlake (the other two were SNL castmembers Andy Samberg and Bobby Moynihan). On November 16, 2008 Knowles performed the song during the final episode of Total Request Live. Beyonce performed the song on November 18, 2008 at BET’s 106 & Park. She also performed “Single Ladies” during the 2008 AMA Awards on November 23, 2008. On November 25, 2008, she performed the song on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. On November 26, 2008, she performed the song at Rockefeller Plaza on The Today Show. Beyoncé also performed the song on The Tyra Banks Show with two male dancers.

Critical reception

Critical responses of the song are generally positive. Bill Lamb of About.com, stated that: “Stylistically, the pair ['If I Were a Boy'/'Single Ladies'] are very distinctive from each other, but both are pure Beyoncé. To my ears, ‘If I Were a Boy’ sounds like an ‘Irreplaceable’ size smash. However, that is only if it doesn’t get overshadowed by the power bounce of ‘Single Ladies,’ an extension of the style of ‘Get Me Bodied’ from B’Day.” Allmusic has the same idea, saying the song is “a dire “Get Me Bodied” retread”. Leah Greenblatt of Entertainment Weekly magazine described the song “is all bouncy hand claps and post-breakup sass, a giddy, high-stepping hybrid of lyrical kiss-off and fizzy jump-rope jam”. Mariel Concepcion of Billboard magazine was not very impressed with the song, calling it “standard screech-thump fare”.

Rolling Stone magazine named “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” the best song of 2008 writing, “The beat, courtesy of The-Dream and Tricky Stewart, is irresistible and exuberant, the vocal hook is stormy and virtuosic.” The song also landed at number two on MTV’s list of “The Best songs of 2008?: “‘Single Ladies’ is hyperactive and supercharged in ways I never thought possible. It’s epic and sexy and even a bit sad (because, you know, he didn’t put a ring on it)…there is absolutely zero chance Beyoncé ever releases a single like this ever again.” Time magazine’s critic Josh Tyrangiel ranked it the seventh best song of 2008.

Chart performance

The song debuted at number 78 on the Billboard Hot 100 and rose up the charts. On the Billboard issue dated November 29, the song entered the top 40 at number 28. The following week, “Single Ladies” surged up to number two on the Billboard Hot 100. With strong digital sales of 204,000, “Single Ladies” topped the Hot Digital Songs chart and caused Beyonce’s other single release, “If I Were a Boy”, to drop down to the number two spot on the same chart with a lower tally of 160,000 copies sold. It continued its stay at number one on Hot Digital Songs for two weeks. It sold 228,000 downloads the following week, a twelve percent increase over last week’s tally of 204,000. The single’s performance on the chart was boosted due to heavy rotation, reaching the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100, making it Knowles’ fifth number one single. This became the first time in history that the top 4 was made up of only two artists (though the Beatles held the Top 5 spots at one point). As Knowles’ fifth number one song, she is now tied with fellow pop/R&B singer Rihanna for most number one songs in this decade by a solo female artist (excluding four of her No. 1 hits with Destiny’s Child from this decade). The song has spent four non-consecutive weeks atop the Hot 100, and is Knowles’ second Christmas and New Year number-one single, the first one being “Irreplaceable” in 2006-2007. The Destiny’s Child single Independent Women Part I also achieved this feat. Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) has spent another week on number 1, making it her fourth week on top due to a massive surge of 157% on downloads which gave her 382,000 downloads for the week alone. The single topped both the Hot Dance Club Play and Hot Dance Airplay charts. On the issue dated January 17, the song was knocked off from its top spot by the Lady GaGa single “Just Dance”.

The single debuted as Billboard’s ‘Hot Shot Debut’ at number 20 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. After gaining the most airplay each week, it has peaked at number one, becoming Knowles’ fifth number-one R&B single in her solo career. The song captured number one on iTunes U.S. Top Songs, Top Ringtones, and Top Music Videos lists.

The song debuted at number 81 on the Canadian Hot 100 based on downloads alone, and it skyrocketed to number 17 the next week based on sales strength and has currently reached the top ten peaking at number 8. On November 24, 2008, “Single Ladies” debuted at number 15 on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart and so far has peaked at number 5. On November 23, 2008, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number 67 based on downloads alone and over the period of just under 2 months, the song has gradually worked its way up the charts and has so far peaked at number 8. The single has currently peaked at number 8 on the Irish Singles Chart.

In New Zealand, “Single Ladies” debuted at number thirty-two on November 24, 2008. The song peaked at number two in its fourth week where it stayed for three weeks. It was certified Gold after seven weeks selling over 7,500 copies.

Music video

Like the video for “If I Were a Boy”, the music video for “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” is shot in black and white, and was directed by Jake Nava, with whom Knowles had worked with on previous videos like “Crazy in Love”, “Naughty Girl”, “Baby Boy” and “Beautiful Liar”, among others. Choreographed by JaQuel Knight, Knowles performs as her alter ego Sasha Fierce. It shows her in asymmetrical leotard and high-heels, with two dancers. The video is choreography-driven, with a routine emphasizing hip-and-leg shaking and heels clicking, “almost as if they’re tap dancing, to give the song some extra beats”. Towards the end of the video, Knowles flashes her wedding ring that is almost camouflaged by her cyborg arm.

Knowles premiered the music video, along side the video for “If I Were a Boy,” also directed by Nava, on MTV’s Total Request Live show. The video was released to major outlets on October 13, 2008.

Upon the video’s release, many internet bloggers noticed similarities between the choreography of “Single Ladies” and that of a June 1969 performance by Gwen Verdon on The Ed Sullivan Show entitled “Mexican Breakfast.” The latter—choreographed by Broadway legend, Bob Fosse—became an internet viral sensation when Unk’s “Walk It Out” was dubbed over the original mix. While promoting the song on BET’s 106 & Park, Knowles stated that she was inspired by the video after viewing it on YouTube and wanted to see if she could attempt it. Another video by Knowles, “Get Me Bodied”, was inspired by Fosse’s musical Sweet Charity. Many fans have posted videos of themselves on to YouTube, attempting to perform the choreography.

The video has generated interest in j-setting, the dance form that choreographer JaQuel Knight highlights in the video. Like the histories of many popular dances, there are several versions of the development of J-setting (named after the “Prancing J-Settes” of Jackson State University in Jackson, MS). Majorettes at southern universities incorporated some of Fosse’s popular vocabulary into the ’sets’ of movement presented and then imitated in parades and marches. This movement vocabulary then became popular in the gay club scene. In a radio interview on NPR’s All Things Considered, Knight shared his excitement about the popularity of the video’s one-take dance sequence as an inspiration for anyone to get up off the couch and try out the moves. Atlanta’s Southern Voice published a short piece on j-setting.

Track listing

CD Single

1. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Main) – 3:13
2. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Maurice Joshua Club Edit) – 3:44
3. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Maurice Joshua Club Mix) – 6:47
4. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Instrumental) – 3:11
5. “If I Were A Boy” – 4:10

Digital Remix EP

1. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Dave Aude Club Mix) – 8:24
2. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Karmatronic Remix) – 5:58
3. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Redtop Club Mix) – 6:59
4. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Redtop Dub) – 7:05
5. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (DJ Escape & Tony Coluccio Club) – 6:58
6. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (DJ Escape & Tony Coluccio Dub) – 6:11
7. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Lost Daze Dating Service Remix) – 6:52
8. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (Craig C’s Master Blaster Radio Remix) – 8:19

Joaquin

Administrator
Teammitglied
10. Februar 2009 um 21:34 Uhr

mariel concepcion sagt,

when and where did i say this?

Mariel Concepcion of Billboard magazine was not very impressed with the song, calling it “standard screech-thump fare”.

This is incorrect. I never said this. please delete.

Oben